Terri’s Hot Cross Bun Bread and Butter Pudding
Easter is a time for family, celebration and good food. A dish that has been a staple in our Senior Developer, Terri-Mae Sasman’s household is Hot Cross Bun Bread and Butter pudding.
Here she shares her delicious, family recipe with us!
- 6 Hot Cross buns
- Marmalade, Apricot or Strawberry jam
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 Cup Castor sugar
- 250 ml Cream
- 250 ml Milk
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Halve the Hot Cross Buns and set tops aside.
- Roughly chop bun bases and keep aside.
- For the custard, whisk the eggs, sugar, milk and cream in a large bowl until well combined.
- Add chopped bun bases and let it stand for five minutes. Using a slotted spoon, arrange soaked bun bases in a large, greased baking dish.
- Butter and jam the cut-side of the Hot Cross Bun tops.
- Then, dip the cut side of the Hot Cross Bun tops into the egg mixture and arrange cross-side up in the dish.
- Pour the remaining egg mixture around the bun tops.
- Loosely cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Finally, remove the foil and bake for a further 10 to 15 minutes or until the custard has set.
To serve, finish by brushing some jam on top of the desert.
Image courtesy of the BBC